Sunday, June 29, 2014

“Hey Dad, It’s Me”

Yesterday morning, I watched a documentary titled I AM. It’s on Netflix, and I recommend watching it. On it, there is a seemingly insignificant clip of the director calling his father on the phone. The only part of the conversation we see is the director/son’s greeting. He begins by saying, “Hey Dad, it’s me. Is it too late?” What we assume from the film is that he is calling his father and asking if it’s too late to come by the father’s house to interview him. However, there are three points to the son’s side of the conversation that I want to highlight. “Hey Dad”, “it’s me”, and the question “Is it too late?”.

“Hey Dad”. This simple greeting illustrates a name and identity for one who created us. It is not elaborate nor is it elevated. It does not list the number of things the father has done or his numerous identities. It lists only the most basic, and possibly most significant, relational identity that exists in the eyes of the son, “Dad”.

“it’s me.” I identify with this as this is how I greet my parents on the phone. I don’t say, “It’s Brent” or “This is your eldest son calling you”…unless I’m joking around. Even still, the first words that come from my mouth are “Hey Mom and Dad, it’s me.” This statement of self-identification implies that the parent knows the voice of the child so well that only the sound of the voice is needed for identification. Granted, the words “Hey Dad” would imply that of all possible callers, this caller is one of your children. Still, a relationship must pre-exist outside of this call in order for the voice and identity to be recognized. Beyond this, there is also an understanding the son has regarding the significance of his own identity in relation to the father. If the son didn’t know the father would recognize him based on his voice alone, he would not feel confident in offering such a brief and non-descriptive explanation of himself. Thus, we know that the son knows his “Dad” well and is aware that his father knows his son well.

“Is it too late?” This question can be viewed simply as a question of timing, as the father is old and may go to bed soon. We can’t tell, based on the footage given, what limiting factor is present. All that can be known is that a time constraint is implied.


If you haven’t made the connection yet, don’t know me well, and haven’t quite enough foresight to see where I’m going with this metaphor, I’ll explain it to you. (Although, I’m sure it’s unnecessary.) All these points can be made when relating to our Heavenly Father, Abba, “Dad”. I won’t repeat myself, but in case you’re wondering about the last point, regarding the son’s question, it isn’t too late. It wasn’t too late for the director to meet with his father. Though, before the release of the documentary, the father passed away. How sadly fitting that this question be asked. I doubt the son knew the significance of his question. I doubt he knew that time with his father would be so limited beyond the hours of that day, but the truth that time is limited remains. Our time to establish and increase our relationship with our Father while on Earth is limited by time. Don’t waste opportunities to be in conversation with Him. Know that he is your Father, your Dad. He knows you better than anyone else. Lastly, know that it’s not too late to talk to him today. He might be old, but he’s more than willing to stay up to talk with you for as long as you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment